Washington “has not changed” their opinion on alleged attacks of diplomats in Cuba, State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert stated, although President Donald Trump has directly pointed to Havana as being responsible.
“The Administration has not changed its point of view on that. The investigation is ongoing, “Nauert said of Washington’s position, which blamed the Cuban government for alleged attacks of 22 US officials on the Caribbean island that have sparked a bilateral diplomatic crisis.
However, at a press conference Monday at the White House Trump said: “I think Cuba is responsible, yes I believe it.”
Asked about it, Nauert said Tuesday that what Trump meant was that Cuba is responsible for protecting foreign diplomatic personnel, a position that Washington had already stated, but not that Havana is directly involved in the attacks.
Beyond Trump’s comments, Washington has not blamed the Cuban government for the attacks, at least for the time being, and has insisted that it does not know “what or who” caused those incidents, a subject that is still being investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
However, Washington does accuse Havana of failing to fulfill its obligation to ensure the safety of US officials in its territory.
The Cuban Government, for its part, has denied any responsibility for the incidents and has assured that it has investigated them since they became aware of this, although Cuba has complained of the lack in cooperation from those US authorities in the sharing of information and the lack of evidence of events.
The “attacks” have led the State Department to minimize its staff at the US Embassy in Havana, which has resulted in suspension of visa issuance.
In addition, Washington last week ordered the expulsion of 15 officials from the Cuban embassy in Washington, a step that has raised bilateral tensions, which had already increased as a result of Trump’s inauguration in January.