WASHINGTON – Before embarking on a trip to Switzerland, President Donald Trump said Wednesday that he is open to the possibility that certain “Dreamers” may have a path to citizenship within a period of “ten to 12 years,” as part of a permanent solution for “DACA” that includes its border wall.
During an impromptu press conference, Trump said that young people covered by the “deferred action” program (DACA) of 2012, “have nothing to worry about.”
As the president explained, under the legal framework that the White House will disclose next Monday, the protections for the “Dreamers” would be “transformed” towards an eventual citizenship.
“It’s going to happen, sometime in the future, for a period of ten to 12 years,” the president explained, before leaving for a two-day international economic forum in Davos.
Asked what message he sent to the “Dreamers” who are now in limbo, Trump replied: “Tell them they have nothing to worry about.”
The plan would give provisional status to the 690,000 young people covered by the “DACA” today, and that group would eventually qualify for citizenship, according to Trump.
Later, a senior official of the Administration, who requested anonymity, was quick to explain that the eventual citizenship of the “Dreamers” is only “a point of discussion” in the plan in the making, and that, in all In this case, they would have to meet a series of requirements that they did not specify.
Trump dismantled “DACA” last September and gave the Congress until March 5 to find a permanent legislative solution.
Last year, Trump promised the “Dreamers” a solution with “heart”, but his Administration has taken police action even against this population, so his statements caused skepticism.
In sour negotiations between Democrats and Republicans, Trump has made it clear that he will not accept legislation that codifies “DACA” without components for the border wall and security on the border and inland, and the elimination of the ” lottery of visas “and” chain immigration “, or visas for family reunification.
In addition, at the negotiating table there has been no participation of civic groups of the pro-immigrant movement, only of ultraconservative groups that call for a “strong hand” against undocumented immigrants and restrictions on legal immigration.
The negotiations have frustrated the Democrats, indebted to the “Dreamers” to the point that they were accused by Trump and his Republican allies of provoking the recent closure of the three-day government by shielding “legal immigrants”, to the detriment of funds for the Army. and national security,
Congress imposed a deadline until February 8 to authorize more funds for government operations, and now many Democrats are reluctant to force another paralysis.
The leader of the Democratic minority in the Senate, Chuck Schumer, said he had offered Trump last Friday support for full funding of the border wall, in exchange for protection for the “Dreamers”, but yesterday withdrew that offer from the table.
The White House denied that Schumer has made such an offer. The Administration presented a $ 33 billion proposal for border security last month to Congress, of which $ 18,000 million would go towards building the wall on the border with Mexico.
Now, according to the White House, Trump wants $ 25 billion for the wall and another $ 5 billion for more border security.
In statements to this newspaper, two mayors from California, participating in the winter conclave of the US Conference of Mayors (USCM) in Washington, expressed cautious optimism that Trump could reach an agreement for the “Dreamers.”
“If the president is open (to the citizenry) that would be a very good thing, because it’s something that has common sense: if you’re a Dreamer, if you entered the US as a child, there’s no reason why they do not have legal status. It is not good to have two classes of people in the country, “said the Republican mayor of Anaheim, Tom Tait, president of the Working Group on Immigration of the Conference.
“We have to resolve the issue of the Dreamers already, we have a pending term … the Conference has a bipartisan voice on this issue,” said Tait.
Tait was among the select group of mayors invited to a meeting with Trump at the White House this afternoon, many of whom boycotted the meeting following the Justice Department’s new threat against the “sanctuary cities.”
“I went to the meeting because I think it’s always good to listen. In this city you may not hear the other side is the norm but it is not good, people have to talk, “said Tait, who called the meeting more like a Trump speech on infrastructure than a dialogue, because he did not take questions.
For its part, Libby Schaaf, mayor of Oakland, a “sanctuary city,” said it is difficult to believe Trump when he has changing opinions but is confident that the issue can be resolved.
“I trust that it will be the Congress that resolves this matter, because they have the power to do so and give the Dreamers a permanent path to citizenship. They are young people who belong in this country, period, “said Schaaf.