The United States will withdraw from search operation for the Argentine submarine ARA San Juan, which disappeared on November 15th in the Atlantic Ocean with 44 crew members on board, the Southern Command reported Wednesday.
The US support team made that decision after completing its work supporting the requests of the Argentine government with the search and rescue.
“On behalf of the people of the United States, we offer our respects to the families of the crew of ARA San Juan and the people of Argentina,” said Rear Admiral Daniel B. Abel, operations director of the US Southern Command.
The Southern Command or (SOUTHCOM), based in Miami Florida, said the United States actively joined the international search efforts led by Argentina 24 hours after the submarine’s disappearance.
In the search and rescue work of ARA San Juan, three aircraft participated and more than 200 members specialized in search and rescue, four submersibles, a specialized underwater rescue unit, a ship and more than 400 sonar buoys.
The P-8A Poseidon was among the aircraft sent to Argentina to assist
It is the newest patrol and maritime reconnaissance aircraft of the US Navy and is configured with sensors and state-of-the-art communications equipment, which allows it to support a wide range of missions and scan large bodies of water for search and rescue operations.
In April, SOUTHCOM deployed a P-8A Poseidon to Galeão Air Force Base in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, where it took part in searching for international of a Republic of Korea ship, Stella Daisy, which sank in the South Atlantic, off the western coast of Africa.
In addition, the United States provided the most advanced sonar system in the world, which was installed on Argentine search vessels.
Also specialists in planning and analysis supported the efforts through data analysis, a task that will continue, according to the Southern Command.
The team culminated with all searches in areas assigned by the Argentine Navy, sweeping each area twice with advanced sensors, it was reported.
Ships from several countries are still looking for the submarine about 400 kilometers off the coast of Argentina.
This is an area of the ocean in which several international agencies recorded that there had been an explosion hours after the vessel disappeared, near where its track was lost, the EFE news agency said on Tuesday.